Oil temperature

englisch/english
Ola Fransson
PLUS Interessierter

Oil temperature

Ungelesener Beitrag von Ola Fransson »

Hi fellow plus owners,
I have been driving the plus in -15 up to +10 (approx) undependent of the temerature outside my oil temerature is not raising much, just a notch above the first marker and if i stand stil ideling for a while it can rise alitle more but not much.

Is this behaviour by design?

BTW, last weekend i outrun a Porche 928 -S from 0 to 230 then he gave up, realy thought that 928 would take me with its 235kw and only rwd at least i think my plus is only at 240kw :)

//Ola
Erwin
Ex-Owner

Ungelesener Beitrag von Erwin »

I have exactly the same. Oil temperature hardly seems to exceed 65 or 70 degrees, whilst cooling water temperature reaches 90 degrees within 3 kilometres. I think it's normal...
Sebastian
Owners Club

Ungelesener Beitrag von Sebastian »

Erwin hat geschrieben:I have exactly the same. Oil temperature hardly seems to exceed 65 or 70 degrees, whilst cooling water temperature reaches 90 degrees within 3 kilometres. I think it's normal...
No, it is not normal...change the oil thermostat (???)...
Erwin
Ex-Owner

I have replaced the thermostate just a few weeks ago, as the cooling water temperature did almost never reach 90 degrees, regardless of the distance travelled and regardless of driving on the Autobahn or in town. Oil temperature was also very low, at least according to the oil temp. indicator. After replacing the thermostate, the cooling water temperature now always reaches 90 degrees (within 3 minutes or so), but the oil temperature indicator is just a notch above the first marker and if idle for a while it can rise a little more but not much. Exactly the same as Ola experiences.

If this is caused by a defect oil temperature sensor or something, I don't mind. But I would hope the oil in fact reaches normal working temperatures. I would also expect this, as the cooling water always reaches 90 degrees and also stays 90 degrees while driving. Or is there any possibility that the oil temperature does not reach normal working temperatures in these conditions?? :?:

Viele Grüße,
With kind regards,

Erwin
Marc Welsch
Administrator
Ungelesener Beitrag von Marc Welsch »

At my first PLUS I had this problem, and at my second one, too. Untill now I had no chance to find any reason. I changed everything, but untill now the oil-temperature only reachs more than 70° on a racetrack... :x
Schöne Inselgrüße Marc

Bild
Rainer Langer
Owners Club
oiltemprature

Ungelesener Beitrag von Rainer Langer »

Hi *,
on cold days, the low temperature is quite normal. It depends on the cooling system of our audis. When you look at the water temperature, you will see, that the temperature isn´t going above 70 degree.

On highways, there is so much cooling, that the temprature of the water goes down. The only thing against this low engine temperatures is a windshield in front of the cooling system. (at the right side(visco-vent side)).
The Visco radiator runs permanently and cools the engine. the electric one starts only when the engine gets to hot. but if the engine goes hot, the oil coolage opens. ok on a racetrack i wouldn´t use this, but in case of running with a cold engine it is a suitable solution.

what is the optimal temperature for our engine?

/Rainer
Rainer Langer
Owners Club
s6 - s6plus

the temperature problem is the same as on my old s6 - it coud be a problen but i did not realy know it,

what is the optimum for our v8 engines?

/Rainer
Sebastian
Owners Club

Re: oiltemprature

Rainer Langer hat geschrieben:Hi *,
on cold days, the low temperature is quite normal. It depends on the cooling system of our audis. When you look at the water temperature, you will see, that the temperature isn´t going above 70 degree.
Thats not right....my water temperature ist always at 90 degree - everytime! Your engine must reach 90 degrees...change your water-thermoste :wink:

Oil-Temperature must be on 80 degrees...if it will not reach thies temperature, it might cause a "cylinder-head-damage" :lol:
Erwin
Ex-Owner

Sebastian hat geschrieben:
No, it is not normal...change the oil thermostat (???)...
Sebastian hat geschrieben: Thats not right....my water temperature ist always at 90 degree - everytime! Your engine must reach 90 degrees...change your water-thermoste

Sebastian, does my car have 2 thermostates, an "oil thermostate" and a "water thermostate"?? I always thought my car has only one thermostate :?: Can you explain?
Rainer Langer
Owners Club
90 degree

Hi Sebastian,
when the outside temprature is above 5 degree, the water-thermostat reach the 90 degree in less as 5 minutes. if its colder and i drive to my work - its about 35 km, the engine needs whole time to reach the 90 degree water temprature.

the oil-temp was then a little over 65 mark.

Today, i obtain the hurdle after 10 km with water 90 and oil over the first mark. (air temprature 12 degree).

so, is it possible, that my thermostates works?

/RAINER
Sebastian
Owners Club

No, i think yout water-thermostate works not correct...my water-temperature reaches 90 degrees after a few kilometer!
Marc Welsch
Administrator

Sebastian hat geschrieben:Oil-Temperature must be on 80 degrees...if it will not reach thies temperature, it might cause a "cylinder-head-damage" :lol:
Sorry, but that's not true. Both engines are under perfect conditions, both thermostates are new, the temperature-sensor for oil is new, but my oil-temperature doesn`t rise.

Could it be, that the instrument doesn't work correctly? That would be the only part I didn't changed untill now.
Schöne Inselgrüße Marc

Bild
Sebastian
Owners Club

Marc Welsch hat geschrieben:Could it be, that the instrument doesn't work correctly? That would be the only part I didn't changed untill now.
Maybe...you cannot say, that the v8 is a big engine, which has a good cooling-function. An engine must reach an oil-temperature above 80 degrees. Check your instrument, but i don't think there you find an answer :wink:

There must be another problem...
Marc Welsch
Administrator

Sebastian hat geschrieben:There must be another problem...
Their is no other problem. I've checked the engine completly. Really everything which is controling any temperature at the engine is new. The oil has enough temperature, I'm sure about that.
Schöne Inselgrüße Marc

Bild
Erwin
Ex-Owner

does the car have 2 thermostates (as sebastian said), an "oil thermostate" and a "water thermostate"?? I always thought my car has only one thermostate Can someone explain?

thanks!
Antworten